How to Customize Your Presets in MatterControl
Posted on May 22, 2014 by MatterHackers
Presets are an incredibly powerful tool for getting exactly what want out of your 3D print. With a little bit of knowledge under your belt, you'll be printing more efficiently than ever before. --------------- Updated 6/12/15

Hey there, stranger! I hear that you’ve been using MatterControl lately. I also hear that you're ready to start creating and customizing your own presets! Don't know where to start? Not to worry my fine friend, guides like this exist for a reason. So settle down into your favorite pair of pants, it's time to learn about presets.

We’ll just start with finding the presets. Head over to Settings & Controls -> Settings and then click on one of the editing icons that look like pencils. It doesn't matter which one; they both work the same way, only the Quality set is used for differentiating various levels of quality and the Materials set is used for differentiating various materials.

See those little guys? Well, go ahead and click one. You should see some list items, similar to the printer profiles. To the right of the profile names, you should see an “edit” button. Click it.

We'll being doing a lot of editing here.

This is where you edit presets. These are the settings that will change when you switch presets. Every other setting will remain the same when switching between presets, unless you choose to add more settings to each one.
In other words, presets are a collection of settings that you want to be able to alter quickly, without having to change all of the settings you already want.

Only four settings in this preset? Maybe it's not so complicated after all!

Let’s say we want to add a preset. The first thing that you want to do is take a look at those drop down menus at the top. From left to right, select the setting that you would like to add to your preset.

When I print in ABS, I want my prints to be SLOW!

After you select the last option, it will be added to the list of settings that change when you select that specific preset.

There we go. Now it is set in code.

Should you choose to switch to a different preset, whatever settings you had in the previous preset will go back to the defaults, and whatever settings are included in the new preset will now take effect.

In the first photo, the ABS preset is selected, and the orange settings are changed. In the second photo, it is the PLA preset. The remaining settings stay unchanged.

Thanks for reading "How to use the presets in MatterControl!" If you've read this entire things, and you just can't seem to get the hang of it, feel free to get in contact with us, and we'll help you sort it all out.

Cheers!

-The MatterHackers Crew

About MatterControl

MatterControl is an all-in-one desktop 3D printing software application created by MatterHackers, Inc.   MatterControl features an intuitive approach to 3D printing, allowing users to queue multiple parts for printing without pre-slicing, preview and manipulate designs, as well as integrating a library that enables users to organize and search their design files.  MatterControl is currently available for Windows/PC (XP and above), Mac OS X (10.7+) and Linux.  Check out www.mattercontrol.com for more details.

21 Comments

How can i add Kisslicer to the slicerslist?

Guest - June 3rd, 2014 at 7:44a.m.

Currently, we do not have the ability to add Kissslicer to our integrated slice engines. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to be able to do this in the future!

GriffinKahnke - June 3rd, 2014 at 4:44p.m.

Is there a way to set the "home" position? I'm using a ROBO3D (PLA & ABS version)and when using Matter Control, the extruder moves to a "home" position 5 cm above the print bed. When I use the manual controls to get the extruder to the normal home position and start the print, the extruder moves to the centre of the bed, 5 cm up from the surface. It pauses there and then moves to nine different points above the bed, raising up each move. When it's ready to start printing, the extruder moves to the centre of the bed, about 10 cm above the bed and starts the print.
Any idea what the problem might be?

Cheers,
John

John Nayduk - June 22nd, 2014 at 5:40a.m.

Kikoo from France :-)
How and where can i set up a custom start gcode please ?
It is to set a Z offset.

@hugobiwan - June 26th, 2014 at 11:15p.m.

@hugobiwan - Custom start gcode can be set either in the preset or in the base slice settings. You can find it under 'Printer' > 'Custom G-Code'.

kevin.pope [MatterHackers] - July 7th, 2014 at 4:52p.m.

I have some makerbots, I would not mind switch to this slicer. What are some of the differences between this slicer and makerware?

Vinnie Savoy - July 8th, 2014 at 2:34p.m.

We've done a lot of interesting work with bridging and infill and are continuing to improve it. Unfortunately MatterControl does not export into x3g but it is a feature we will be adding in the near future.

jonathanformby [MatterHackers] - July 8th, 2014 at 3:06p.m.

Hello
Presets are great but I am not a huge fan of the way you have implemented them here. I have a Lulzbot Taz and about 4 materials I use actively. To get the settings I import a slicer INI file. Then I tweak those settings. What I want to do now is to SAVE those settings as a material. Call it ABS -medium_resolution. I can't do that. (or at least I don't think I can.) I have to remember what it is that I have tweaked, go back to presets, and enter it. If I bring up a preset, then tweak a couple of values, likewise, I have to go back and edit manually.

It would be great to have a dialog box when you change something and hit save. Save "machine" or "overwrite material setting". Like wise when you import an INI ask "new machine" or "new material"

Thanks
Charles

Charles O - July 8th, 2014 at 3:20p.m.

Hi,
how to set a Mendel Multimaterials?
I have 3 extruders with 3 hot-end

M4ni - December 8th, 2014 at 3:42a.m.

In the window there isn't slice engine ...
how to select Cura, Slicer or Matter?

Guest - December 8th, 2014 at 12:15p.m.

We have moved Slic3r and CuraEngin to the Configuration tab.

LarsBrubaker [MatterHackers] - December 9th, 2014 at 1:17p.m.

@M4ni, did you get a chance to look at the article?

LarsBrubaker [MatterHackers] - December 10th, 2014 at 11:22a.m.

Charles O, you can save as many materials and qualities as you like which would automatically have the presets you want for each situation.

Jim McCuan - January 28th, 2015 at 6:41p.m.

Does it tell me how material is being used per piece?

Guest - January 30th, 2016 at 12:54p.m.

@Guest An estimate for the printed model's weight in grams can be found under the MODEL section in Layer View: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Layer_View#MODEL

ryan.lutz [MatterHackers] - February 1st, 2016 at 9:46a.m.

Hey guys, we have several people starting to use MatterControl on their machines, and we have two Orions for the department. I've added a custom material to my setup (PCTPE), and I wanted to share the settings with my colleagues. Is there any way to export and share materials that we create?

Nate - May 16th, 2016 at 5:30a.m.

@Nate Use the Export and Import functions found in the 'Options...' menu on the SETTINGS pane.

ryan.lutz [MatterHackers] - May 17th, 2016 at 10:26a.m.

Hello, first of all congratulations for this great software! It's beyond my expectations! I'm running MatterControl version 1.5.3.6876 and I have a little problem. On the Options Tab the only slice engine available for selection is the MatterSlice. What need to be done to enable Slic3r and Cura inside de combo box for selection? Thanks!

Guest - September 20th, 2016 at 7:15p.m.

Hello again, I'm the previous Guest. It seems that i found the cause of the problem.. When choosing a number of extruders higher than 1 on Printer Features, Slic3r and Cura engines disappear from the selection box on Options Tab.. Is there anyway to use Slic3r and Cura engines through MatterControl with more than 1 extruder? Thanks again.

Guest - September 20th, 2016 at 8:21p.m.

@Guest Thanks for your kinds words!

Dual extrusion is not supported for third-party slicers in MatterControl, and the development team has no immediate plans to enable this functionality. I'll make a note of your feedback, and perhaps some time in the future we will be able to do this.

ryan.lutz [MatterHackers] - September 21st, 2016 at 9:11a.m.

Ok ryan.lutz, thanks for your feedback! I will wait for this functionality to be developed. Anyway, MatterSlice is a great slice engine too! Thanks again, best regards!

Guest - September 22nd, 2016 at 11:48a.m.
  • -->